Thursday, January 10, 2008

break your ant life

so today i was leaving target with kate (my australian exchange student). we were going to meet up with some people and i was a bit pre-occupied trying to find my keys and juggling my phone. we walked through the doors, and saw an older woman who had a full cart and items on the bottom. her cart eased down the small ramp, but the bins on the bottom of the cart slide off and flew into the middle of the cross walk. she was darting between the cars breaking hard and starting fast. i stood at her cart and yelled "ma'am, let me help you" she walked out of the crosswalk. she was one of those women who were somewhat of a feminist, she could do everything herself and didn't need ANYONES help....even mine. I was taken back by her slight glare. i waited for traffic to stop and quickly collected all her oversized rubbermaid containers from the crossing. i helped her move her cart off the ramp and secure the bins in a good place. I asked if she needed help to her car. she shot me one of the "how-dare-you-underestimate-me-selfish-brat" stare downs, so i thought i wouldnt expend my welcome. she just stood and stared; and i briskly strolled away with a "have a wonderful rest of your day". even though my helpful deed went rejected and not accepted, i still felt good about what i did and left the ant kingdom.

<3 me

No comments: